Smithers Community Coordination for Women’s Safety Committee (CCWS)
Smithers Community Coordination for Women's Safety Committee:
The Smithers Community Coordination for Women's Safety committee (CCWS) has a diverse membership including representatives from RCMP, Crown Counsel, Community Corrections, Court Services, Police Based Victim Services, Specialized Victim Services, Stopping the Violence Counseling, Ministry of Children and Family Development, First Nations groups, JobWave, etc. The committee meets once a month to network, update the group, discuss concerns, invite speakers, and initiate and carry out projects related to enhancing services and safety for women and children.
The Smithers Violence Against Women in Relationships (VAWIR) committee began meeting in 1999. A few years later the name was changed to the Smithers Community Coordination for Women's Safety committee (SCCWS). The committee has always been Chaired by the Specialized Victim Assistance Worker, who belongs to the Ending Violence Association of BC (EVA BC). EVA BC has a Community Coordination for Women's Safety section who offer support and resources to CCWS committees located in communities around BC.
Smithers CCWS Backgrounder 2005
CCWS Origins (from 1993 with VAWIR)
The early years of the SCCWS committee were spent recruiting and building relationships. The group contributed feedback to projects such as obtaining a better Courtroom screen for vulnerable witnesses, and organizing and attending the Domestic Violence Community forum held in early 2005.
Smithers Community Coordination for Women's Safety Committee PROJECTS 2005-2010:
* Priority Response Partnership 2005 - Silent Alarm Program:
PRP Brochure updated July 2010
All Party Responsibilities
* BVLD Domestic Violence Court Steering Committee - Local Committee: 2006
* Update of Smithers CCWS Mission Statement and Objectives - 2006
Smithers CCWS Mission Statement
Smithers CCWS Objectives
What if She Came to You? brochure for frontline workers November 2007
* Update of Smithers CCWS Member Responsibility and Confidentiality Agreement - 2008
Smithers CCWS Member Responsibility and Confidentiality Agreement
* SEXUAL ASSAULT PROJECT 2008/2009:
1) Multi-Disciplinary Training - Interviewing child victims of Sexual Assault - for RCMP, MCF, Crown Counsel and Victim Services: March 10-13, 2009
Presenters: Wendy Van Tongeren Harvey and Dr. John Yuille
2) Sexual Assault training for BV Hospital staff and local physicians - by BC Women's Hospital - being organized by BV Hospital staff. Dates still to be determined.
Presenters expected: BC Women's Hospital
3) Smithers Sexual Assault Protocol: RCMP, BV Hospital, MCF, Police-Based Victim Services, Specialized Victim Services, Passage Transition House
SMITHERS SEXUAL ASSAULT PROTOCOL - January 2009
Child Sexual Abuse Info for Parents brochure October 2008
Child Sexual Abuse Strategies for Prevention brochure October 2008
Sexual Assault brochure September 2008
You Can Help Prevent Sexual Assault - Both men and women are part of the solution brochure October 2008
* RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT: Information Sharing - Quick Reference for Human Service Providers in Smithers B.C. - 2010
Private Sector Red Light Green Light June 2010
Public Sector Red Light Green Light June 2010