Emergency Sexual Assault Services
24/7 support for victims of sexual assault in the Bulkley Valley area. ESAS has a 24 hour/ 7 day a week crisis line for immediate support after an assault, a member of the ESAS team can accompany the victim to the hospital, doctor, RCMP or any other support. Can provide ongoing emotional support and/or crisis counselling. As well as explore reporting options and connect you to other support resources
ESAS collaborates with community services and systems to improve responses for victims of sexual assault. This includes ongoing conversations with health care, police services, courts etc. to ensure victims have the most trauma-informed experience possible after an assault. The ESAS team also welcome all feedback and insights from survivors on their experiences with these assault support systems.
The ESAS Team can help victims make reporting choices that are best for victims, including supporting victims if they choose not to make a report at all.
- Disclosing a sexual assault is simply telling someone you trust about what happened (a friend, elder, counselor, health worker etc.)
- Reporting a sexual assault is making an official report to authorities (police, victim services etc.) Reports will involve statements and paperwork and may result in charges against the person who assaulted you.
Reporting Options can include
- A Report to RCMP or Police
- A Third Party Report (an anonymous report to police through victim services)
- A Civil Claim
- Physical Evidence Collection**
**you may want to have a forensic medical exam. If you want to take time to think about this option it’s important not to bathe or wash until you decided.
For more information on this program, please call Airika or Angela in Smithers at 250-847-9000.
For confidential 24 hour/ 7 day a week emergency support please contact these hotlines:
- Emergency Sexual Assault Services crisis line: 250-876-8686
- Passage Transition House: 250-847-2595
- VictimLink: 1-800-563-0808
- Adult Crisis Line: 1-888-562-1214
- AIDS / STD Information:1-800-661-4337
- Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral:- 1-800-663-1441
- BC Health Guide Nurse Line: 1-866-215-4700
- Eating Disorder Resource Centre: 1-800-665-1822
- Emergency Shelter Services: 250-847-9515
- Help Line for Children: 310-1234
- Kids Help Line: 1-800-668-6868
- Teen Crisis Line:1-888-564-8336
- Suicide Crisis Line: 1-800-784-2433
- Northern Society for Domestic Peace: toll free in BC 1-877-633-9933