RCMP Based Victim Services
Smithers RCMP Based Victim Services offers services to all victims of crime or trauma. This program is made up of Victim Service staff and trained volunteer advocates. We provide 24/7 crisis intervention when required by police, emotional and practical support, information on police and court processes, file updates, court orientation and accompaniment, critical incident debriefing for individuals and groups and referrals to additional community resources. We also work with community and provincial health and justice partners to streamline services for victims of crime or trauma. We also develop and host educational workshops for health, justice, and investigational partners in Northwest BC.
Stationed in the RCMP detachment, a trained group of staff and volunteers are available to victims 24 hours/ 7 days a week. Services include:
- 24 hour/7 days a week police-based crisis intervention services
- Support to victims/witnesses of crime and other trauma (for example, families of car accident victims, families of sudden death or suicide, victims of property crime, victims of common assault, etc)
- Support to youth and families in crisis
- Community education
Services provided to victims/witnesses of crime and trauma include:
- Police-based crisis intervention
- Information on the status of the police investigation and the progress of the case through the court system
- Emotional support
- Court orientation and escort if the victim/ witness is required to testify
- Crime prevention information
- Referrals to other agencies for counseling, financial support, legal or financial assistance, housing, etc.
- Assistance in completing Crime Victim Assistance Program applications
- Assistance in completing Victim Impact Statements
Crisis intervention services are provided to individuals and families who have been the victim/witness to a crime or other traumatic event such as a serious motor vehicle accident, sudden death or suicide, or acute family problems. Personal Disaster Assistance is provided to individuals and families who have been the victim of situations such as floods and house fires. This service is provided in conjunction with the Canadian Red Cross and the Provincial Emergency Program.
For more information on this program, please call Nicole in Smithers at 250-847-9374.
For confidential emergency support, contact these hotlines:
- Passage Transition House: 250-847-2595
- VictimLink: 1-800-563-0808
- Adult Crisis Line: 1-888-562-1214
- AIDS / STD Information:1-800-661-4337
- Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral:- 1-800-663-1441
- BC Health Guide Nurse Line: 1-866-215-4700
- Eating Disorder Resource Centre: 1-800-665-1822
- Emergency Shelter Services: 250-847-9515
- Help Line for Children: 310-1234
- Kids Help Line: 1-800-668-6868
- Teen Crisis Line:1-888-564-8336
- Suicide Crisis Line: 1-800-784-2433
- Northern Society for Domestic Peace: toll free in BC 1-877-633-9933